Sunday, February 19, 2006

Arsenal @ Madrid - 10 Years waiting for this

I have been waiting for this game for years and years, as simple as that. There are many reasons why and they have changed over the years. There was a time in my life when I hated, despised Real Madrid, with a passion, like you typical fan of Barcelona. I hated them and I wanted my team, Arsenal, to pound them and beat them, but the game was never in the cards. Around 2000, when Madrid were European Champions, etc I wanted AFC and Madrid to meet since I wanted to see what I thought were the best 2 teams in the world play each other and see some of the best football ever played.

You can hate Madrid all you want, but they are the best team in club football, ever. Their records are impressive to say the least and the players that have been there are among the best in the history of sport, let alone football. In addition, not taking into account the racist chants and the ultra-sur, which I know very little about and shouldn´t even be commenting on, most Madrid fans are top class, the real fans anyways...

In sports there is a horrible phenomenon and that is the fact that many fans hate more the rival team than they love their own. The hate outweighs the passion and love felt for a team. For example, most Barca fans I´ve met all they talk about is how bad madrid are, how fat Ronaldo is, how overrated (not by one bit) Beckham is, how horrible Guti is, way way way more that they talk about Ronaldinho, possibly the most prolific talent in the past decade. I´ve always found this funny, because it would seem they look up Madrid´s score to see if they lost before glancing at the front page and reading Barcas demolition of a team for instance.

Madrid and their die hard fans, stood up and gave Ronaldinho a standing ovation in the last Clasico at the Bernabeu. The biggest rivalry in Europe and the team with more success, more players, more money, more fans, more schools, etc humbled themselves and clapped until infinity for a player and what he did in their ground, regardless of what shirt he was wearing. That is CLASS. I will never forget that man with the mustache and cigarette on one hand, madrid scarf around his neck clapping. CLASS. I can bet my life Raul scores 2, sets up one and he will be booed of the pitch. Hey, I love barca and my admiration of Madrid must be said that is a bit learned and subjective since my close friend is Madrid through and through (vaya pedro!!) but that´s not the point now.

With that said i will continue...

Dennis Bergkamp, in my opinion, and very subjective, is the greatest footballer there ever was, is, and ever will be. However i´m like the only guy that thinks that... My mom still thinks david beckham and dennis bergkamp are the same and most people don´t even show the respect he deserves. If you don´t think his goals are magic, or can´t remember one of his many then i can say you are NOT a football fan. His hat trick against Leicester City, France 98 vs Argentina, 89th minute, are you kidding? the greatest goal ever, tied to his OTHER wonder goal against Newcastle... be serious.

I know there are many teams who would actually clap opposing teams, like Portsmouth did with Henry 2 years ago, Milan, Ajax in the past, but it is one of my sports dreams, the ultimate, to see Dennis shine in this game, be subbed in the 88th minute and get a standing ovation from the Bernabeu. I have always thought Arsenal are the best and would rather watch them play, the reserves even, than any European match, and I feel Madrid have set the standard and are the best team out there besides the gunners. I have always watched Dennis play as if it was his last game and enjoyed as much as I could. I would probably never see him play which is one of my life long dreams, but for all of us that have a TV and want to get one of the last glimpses at a master at work, in the biggest stage in the sport, then watch this match tuesday... Let´s just hope he has a great game, and let´s not even talk about when madrid go to Highbury in 2 weeks, jeje. (this was written prior to knowing for a fact he would NOT take part in the game...)

The game. I have waited so long and had so many lineups and strategies thought out and how I would like the team to play, etc but I honestly can´t tell. Most players are out and I don´t even know if Dennis will play. 1000 miles is a long drive. Yes, he doesn´t fly. Anyways I would like to see them going for the win, not only one goal, but 2 or 3.

Lehmann
Eboue Toure Senderos Flamini

Ljungberg Gilberto Fabregas Pires

Dennis Henry


Obviously without Campbell, Ashley Cole, ROBIN VAN PERSIE, Adebayour, Gael Clichy, Pascal ¨Zidenide¨ Cygan, Kerrea Gilbert, etc etc etc etc we are short, yes, but we can do it. I would NOT include Reyes, I just don´t like the guy. The dude would probably have like the game of his life just to impress and leave at some point... that´s my luck. Now that dennis is out, he will play... I would like to see Theo Walcott make an inpact.. 16 years of age. Instead of Reyes up front. I would like to see him on the wing, have Pires change sides and have Freddie as #10.

My analisys will be simple. We need Toure, Freddie and Pires to have MASSIVE games, and I feel Freddie is the Key man, helping back with Zidane, ROberto Carlos and possibly Guti or Raul... Madrid have Cicinho and Beckham, but we all expect them to attack from that side, i wouldn´t be surprised to see much more of R.Carlos and Zizou.

Madrid will probably field

Casillas

Cicinho Woodgate Sergio G. Roberto Carlos

Gravesen

Beckham Guti Zidane

Ronaldo Robinho

Pedro (my Real madrid ¨friend¨ ja!) always told me how good Guti was, I just never listened to him. But Guti is incredible. Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul, Becks, etc they ALL say he has the best technique. He is versatil, has incredible vision, great through balls,never scores an ugly goal and most important of all HE WOULD DIE FOR MADRID. If he does play, and I think he deserves to captain the team, he will be a huge threat. Plus I would love to see him at Ashburton Grove next year... i like his playing a lot.

I would NEVER trade any of our current players, with a couple of exceptions maybe jeje, and I think we can go toe to toe with anybody and I truly believe we have a chance on this game and the fixture itself.

I don´t want excuses, I don´t care if Arsenal Ladies are out there, i want madrid to be FULL STRENGTH so when if we beat them we can say it was MADRID and not a depleeted side, much like ours, but don´t want excuses if you loose either.

I was watching one of my favorite movies, i know it sucks, The 13th Warrior with Antonio Banderas, about a group of vikings who go on a mission to save this village, blah blah. There is one line from there which is one of my favorite quotes of all time. They are about to be killed and they are trapped with stones on one side and water on the other and behind them, and one of the men says:

¨Do we swim it, or do we drown trying??¨

Swim you gunners!!!

VAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Prediction: Arsenal 2-1 , Freddie with a brace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home