Monday, March 06, 2006

Life Shaping Album # 1 - Tiempos - Ruben Blades



There are way too many cd´s that have ¨made me who I am¨. Actually I am firm believer that everysingle experience you live has a direct effect on who you are, how you react to things, etc. But enough of this existential rethoric.

The following posts will describe some albums that I feel you must own in order to get to know me, if that makes sense at all. There is no particular order in these, just whatever comes to mind first.

Tiempos by Rubén Blades has to be in my humble opinion one of the greatest musical masterpieces in the history of music. Enough said. I really have no words to describe this particular album. I picked the hardest one first I guess... It´s a salsa record yet it´s far from salsa, traditional salsa. Instead of horn arrangements there are strings... it all sounds peacefull, classy, sofisticated and ¨from within¨

The production is brilliant. The sound of every instrument is perfect, but most of all the essence that the artist wanted to capture was achieved without a doubt. He describes the whole process as giving birth rather than producing or recording it. I have written about this idol of mine before and I won´t extend this too much. Lyrically speaking this record is GENIOUS. If you live, breather and actually care about the world, people, good things and bad alike, you will feel this record.

As far as picking my favorite track.... now this is difficult. If you have ever loved someone or been in love you must listen to track # 6 ¨Tú y mi Ciudad¨ and he has one of the most amazing frases i´ve ever heard. I won´t tell what it is... listen for yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home