Thursday, March 09, 2006

Life Shaping Album # 4 Distorted Lullabies - Ours


It seems like I say the same thing about every record, but this is a masterpiece... My friend kept telling me about this band, how amazing their singer was and what a great live performance they put on. I trusted her and eventually bought the cd without actually hearing a second of it prior.

From the very first sound I was convinced I was about to be blown away, and needless to say I was more than blown away... Everything about this record speaks to me. The lead singer, guitarrist and basically the engine behind the whole thing is Jimmy Gnecco. I have had the luck of seeing my favorite singers live but I have to put Jimmy at the top of that list, at least as far as rock music is concerned. You just have to be lucky enough to watch him perform and listen to what he can do and how he does it. I´ve been fortunate to see them 7 or 8 times, and everysingle time he delivers. I have never seen a ¨bad¨ Ours performance, not ONE.

One of the things about this record is that it has inspired me to write my own music and appreciate music for what it is... Right before i found out about Ours I waspretty much only listening to Megadeth, Dream Theater, and more complex stuff, all this technique driven music that even though I loved and still love with a passion, lacked whatever Ours had. I guess how ¨simple¨ and minimalistic the music was. On one hand you have some guys playing 18 minute songs with incredible solos, 8 or 9 sections to a song, and then you have a guy playing 2 chords per song and the simplest of drum beats and the music is as, if not MORE, powerful.

Lyrically he´s great... there are many beautfiul songs and even the sad ones make sense, feel right and just rock. When I first heard the record about 4 years ago I understood and related to the lyrics on a song or two, now I think i have matured and understood what jimmy meant back when he wrote the songs.

Fallen Souls, Here´s the Light, Misery Head, Dancing Alone, Meet me in the Tower... they are cool song titles and even better songs. I owe this record a LOT and could talk about it for a long time. My guitar playing has picked up, i´ve even tried singin and composing more than ever, and if it were a timeline you could see that part of me divided into pre and post Ours.

Jimmy and the guys always take the time to hang out after the shows and talk to their fans, which I have to say are as loyal as they come. On a personal note Jimmy has been nothing but nice to me everytime I have met him and when we have spoken about my admiration towards him he was extremely humble and thankful. Much respect.

¨ Ah these people, We've got to love these people, Because if we don't they will go away¨

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home