Friday, April 28, 2006

Life Shaping Album # 7 Homogenic - Bjork

Bjork... without a doubt one of the most meaningful artists in the past century. I can remember watching Bjork for the very first time about 10 years ago when her video for the song Human Behaviour, off the record Debut, popped up on MTV. There was something about the music and her in general that I enjoyed even though I didn't go buy the record the next day.
She seems to have some of the most loyal fans. I would go as far as saying that real Bjork fans are as devoted ,if not more, as any Radiohead, Pantera, Metallica, Dream Theater or U2 fan. Her music reaches to the very depths of human emotions with her lyrics, but most of the time with the way she sings what she sings.

At college many people kept talking about her, until my friend, who I haven't seen since i helped him pack his U-haul truck via LA, Josh Liebowitz, played me her Homogenic record. My jaw dropped from the very first song and when I got to the 3rd one, called Unravel is swear my eyes watered and I felt like the most complete person in the world for a second, I don't know to explain it at all... I know it sounds weird, but the satisfaction I got from listening to it, and what I currently feel when I hear it is not only musical, it's something beyond that few records have managed to create in me.

Sonically it's unbelievable, and i really like how in songs like joga and unravel there are extra bars here and there, making odd time signatures in a way...

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of hearing her live but I hope that changes very soon!


"While you are away my heart comes undone"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home